What is Seattle Kombucha and Why Should You Drink It?
WHAT IS KOMBUCHA?
by Wayne Greenfield, aka "That Kombucha Guy", Founder and Head BrewMaster at Seattle Kombucha Company
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a sparkling tea beverage made by fermenting sweetened iced tea. You might even call it a sour/sweet sparkling tea soda.
Kombucha has only recently become widely available and popular, but it has been consumed for thousands of years around the world as a health tonic.
Kombucha contains beneficial organic acids that support healthy digestion - acids like acetic acid, for which there have been a large number of scientific studies conducted.
Kombucha also contains polyphenols, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals - largely from the teas that are fermented.
Seattle Kombucha is the "World's Best Kombucha™" because of the way that we brew our tea and make our kombucha. Our batches contain more beneficial organic acids and more benefits from tea because we use more tea and brew longer. And it tastes better because of how we blend our teas and use different kombucha mothers to make each flavor.
In fact, many organic acids only start forming in larger quantities AFTER at least 30 days of fermentation. Unfortunately, a lot of kombucha breweries only brew their kombucha for 7-30 days, which means that the phase of fermentation when the most acids accumulate hasn't yet begun.
At Seattle Kombucha, we brew a large portion of our kombucha for 4-6 months until it turns to vinegar, and then blend it with more tea and let it ferment a little longer so that each can of Seattle Kombucha contains as much organic acids as 3-4 servings of apple cider vinegar and tastes super delicious!
So to recap...
• Seattle Kombucha uses more tea to provide more tea benefits and flavor.
• Seattle Kombucha brews for several months instead of 7-30 days in order to maximize the health benefits from the organic acids produced during fermentation
• Seattle Kombucha blends the long brewed kombucha with the newly brewed tea and ferments it a little longer in order to maximize flavor AND benefits.
Seattle Kombucha is: * delicious * sparkling * low-sugar * non-alcoholic * gluten-free * easy to digest * low caffeine * healthy, all-natural alternative to soda, beer, wine, and cocktails * contains more organic acids due to longer fermentation process * better flavor
Try aVariety Pack and see how delicious and satisfying Seattle Kombucha is!
How is Seattle Kombucha made?
At Seattle Kombucha, we have a brewery that looks very similar to a beer brewery or winery with tanks, pumps, kegs and equipment to package our products. We also have a large kettle for making tea. To make kombucha...
1. We brew tea from the finest organic teas, fruits and spices from around the world. 2. We add organic sugar - organic evaporated cane sugar. 3. We mix it all together, let it cool a bit, then pump it into one of our fermenting tankslocated in our temperature controlled fermentation room. 4. We add our "starter culture" of kombucha yeast and bacteria to the tank and allow the kombucha to ferment for several months.
Our unique blend of kombucha bacteria and yeasts eat the tea, sugars, fruits and spices and slowly transforms it all into Seattle Kombucha.
If you want to know MORE.... keep reading... otherwise, order some delicious, low sugar Seattle Kombucha today and experience it for yourself.
The taste of kombucha depends on who makes it, what ingredients they use, and how much skill they have at brewing. At best, kombucha is a little sweet, a little sour, and has a pleasant, balanced taste that matches what you would expect from the ingredients used. Meaning... The Mango should taste like Mango! The Blood Orange should taste like Blood Orange!
When brewed well, kombucha should have a pleasant finish and aftertaste that leaves you satisfied.
Have you had an awful kombucha experience before?
So have we. Unfortunately, the ugly truth about the kombucha industry is that some or all kombucha you may have tried may not have tasted good to you. It may have been too sour like vinegar, or too sweet with too much fruit juice or sugar, or maybe it had an "off" flavor. Or maybe it was super boring and didn't have much flavor at all. At $3-5 per can/bottle it may have been an unpleasant or disappointing experience. We get it.
Whatever your previous experience with other brands may have been, Seattle Kombucha will please your taste buds! Seattle Kombucha has a highly rated, balanced, satisfying tea forward taste with a pleasant finish. Many people who were previously turned off by other kombucha brands have come to Seattle Kombucha and have been VERY SATISFIED!
• sparkling - but not too fizzy • a little sweet, but not TOO sweet • a little tart/sour, but not TOO sour • low in sugar • non-alcoholic • well balanced • no "off" flavors • chock-full-of organic beneficial acids from a long brewing process • tastes like the ingredients it is made from - meaning "Blood Orange" tastes like Blood Orange. :-)
We have high standards, and we believe you deserve the best! If you want to drink the best, drink Seattle Kombucha.
Absolutely. You can make kombucha at home to save money or just learn more about the process. You can also make your own bread, sausage, sauerkraut, wine, beer, cheese, yogurt, tomato sauce, etc. It's fun to learn how to do it if you want to give it a try.
For those of you who would rather have us make kombucha for you in various flavors and styles and put it in a convenient grab and go aluminum can that doesn't need to be refrigerated, well... that's what we are here for. :-)
Kombuchais a fermented beverage usually made by fermenting sweetened green and/or black tea. Kombucha has become a popular, better-for-you alternative because many people have realized the health benefits of reducing the consumption of soda and other, less-healthy and often addictive sugar-filled, caffeinated or alcoholic drinks, including smoothies, fruit juices, coffee, tea, beer, wine and energy drinks.
Kombucha also contains beneficial organic acids, polyphenols and other nutrients including B vitamins and minerals that help contribute to increased energy, a healthy digestive system and improved immunity.
Most people drink Seattle Kombucha because of its digestive health benefits. Some people drink it for its unique taste and low sugar. Seattle Kombucha contains beneficial acids and polyphenols that are also beneficial for immunity support.
Why I drink it...
Personally, in addition to the health benefits, I drink Seattle Kombucha for its unique taste profile and for what it replaces. For me, it is less boring than drinking plain water, lemon water or herbal teas all of the time. And I still like to drink other "unhealthy" things like beer, wine, and energy drinks. I just try to drink them less frequently than I used to before I discovered kombucha.
My consumption of Seattle Kombucha REPLACES MY DESIRE to drink other, less healthy beverages, including...
• coffee or caffeinated tea (usually both make me too jittery if I have too much) • energy drinks (too much caffeine, stimulants, sugar and artificial ingredients. Also make me jittery) • soda(regular soda is usually loaded with too much sugar, 30-50 grams! per 12oz, and artificial flavors and colors) • diet soda (I hate the taste and after taste of artificial sweeteners, not to mention the negative health consequences of the artificial sweeteners)
Here are some other sugar-filled beverages I love to enjoy in moderation that Seattle Kombucha helps replace without feeling like I've missed out...
• sweetened ice tea (love the taste, hate the sugar spike.) • fruit juices(love the taste, hate the sugar spike.) • sugar filled smoothies (love the taste, hate the sugar spike and calories) • beer (hate the carbs and the calories, as well as the way I feel afterwards) • wine (love the variety and taste, I hate the sugar and the way I feel afterwards) • alcohol (love the variety, creativity and taste. I hate the sugar and the way I feel afterwards if I consume more than a little.)
When I think about all the money I USED TO spend on morning coffee at the local coffee shop; bottled or canned plain or sparkling water throughout the day (instead of filling my water bottle before leaving home); wine, beer or cocktails with meals; coffee during meetings; cocktails before meals; cocktails after meals, it all added up.
Drinking these things in moderation, with Seattle Kombucha mixed in between helps keep the sugar, calories, caffeine, and alcohol DOWN, and the flavor and enjoyment UP! And I spend less on alcohol, bottled water, coffee and smoothies than I did before!
• a little bit of caffeine and a lot of flavor from the teas and flavorings • a little bit of sugar from the product overall, mostly for taste • NO artificial sweeteners or colors • a LOT OF unique, refreshing flavor from the teas, flavorings and the fermentation process in general • Gut-friendly organic acids and vitamins; and the peace of mind knowing that you didn't drink any of those other things I previously mentioned.
When I have a craving for one of those other things, I can usually find a flavor of Seattle Kombucha that satisfies my craving AND makes me feel better than I did before I drank it.